How to Transfer Dual Enrollment Credits to College

As graduation approaches, you might be wondering how the dual enrollment courses you took as a high school student will transfer as credits that count toward your degree at your new university. The answer to this question varies by state and individual college; public and private schools have different protocols when it comes to dual credit transfers, so it is important that you do your research.

One crucial point to keep in mind is that, even if each state sets a standard for public schools’ general education curriculum, some states do not require public schools to accept dual enrollment credits. Otherwise, it’s not uncommon for public colleges to approve of credits that were earned at a different school in the same state. Private schools are trickier, as they are able to choose for themselves whether or not to accept credits and how they apply to your transcript.

Your high school counselor or dual enrollment advisor at your college can help you understand which credits can be put toward your major or general education requirements. A good way to start is to get your transcript from the college at which you took dual enrollment courses and then send it to your future university. Keep in mind that you may need to pay a transcript fee in order to get an official record that other schools will accept. Additionally, it is important to consult both your current and future schools’ registrar offices to figure out whether you need to request and submit a physical copy or if it may be delivered electronically.

Ultimately, your university will determine how many credits will transfer as well as whether they will count toward your major or general education requirements. And especially if you’re attending a college out of the state you took your dual enrollment courses in, you should be aware that not all credits will transfer equally.

Holy Family University content ad

Do Dual Enrollment Credits Transfer Out Of State

Most public schools have articulation agreements with community colleges in each state, allowing dual enrollment courses to transfer equally and seamlessly. Colleges may not award full credit to courses taken across state lines, however, as pre-qualification criteria often apply specifically to local schools in the same state.

Because requirements vary state by state, some credits that do transfer may only fulfill partial credit for an out-of-state or private school. Make a call to your prospective school’s advising office for more information about not just whether your dual enrollment credits will transfer, but also how the credits will be measured and translated.

There is no universal rule or policy for transferring credits, so if you want to be sure about what you are getting, do not hesitate to ask how it works in your state or at your university. You will not regret being proactive about your education!

More Helpful Guides

All About College Tuition and Student Loans

How to Write an Activities Resume for College Applications

How to Maintain a 4.0 GPA in College

How to Make a College Budget

Disclaimer: This article contains affiliate links to products and services. We may receive commissions for purchases made through these links.