All About College Tuition and Student Loans
Should you use student loans to pay for college? Here are our best student loan resources for parents and students to consider when tackling college financing.
Many parents of high school students share the same concerns: You want your child to get a college education, but you don’t want them to take on too much student loan debt. High school guidance counselors, parents of college students, and financial aid counselors are all on hand to help, yet the process continues to be opaque and stressful. Which colleges will be most affordable for your child? How will you know how much student loan debt is too much? Which colleges want students like yours—and are willing to give you free money for college?
We’ve rounded up our best resources on college tuition and student loans, so wherever you are in the college application and financial aid processes, you can get informed and start moving toward determining which colleges will be affordable for you.
All About College Tuition and Fees
- What Does it Really Cost to Go to College? College isn’t just tuition. Learn about all the different fees that contribute to the cost of attending college.
- How to Interpret Your Financial Aid Letter: What’s considered “free money”? What are the terms of your student loans? Getting informed early can help you determine college affordability, both during school and after graduation.
- Why Does College Cost So Much? We explain five factors that really drive up the cost of college.
All About Student Loans
- How Much Does a Student Loan Really Cost? Know exactly what you’re signing up for when you apply for a student loan—what will you actually end up paying, once you factor in interest and fees?
- Paying for College: How Parents and Students Can Tackle College Financing: Get informed, know each family member’s unique contributions, and make a plan.
- How to Avoid the ‘Great College Loan Swindle’: Having tough conversations now can avoid crushing debt later.
- Filtering Out the Noise Around Student Loan Debt: Zero in on the data points that are most important for you (and your finances).
- What Parents Can Do to Help Students Avoid Loans for College: Debbie Schwartz of Road2College shares how parents can help kids make smart college financing decisions.
All About College Affordability
- Find the Dream Experience, Not the Dream School: Kevin Gillis shares how he’s putting his four kids through college.
- Which College Can I Afford? Find out how to calculate financial fit (e.g., which colleges are affordable for your family’s budget).
- How to Find Affordable Colleges: Higher ed expert Jon Fish shares tips on how parents can locate schools that won’t have a hefty price tag.
Still concerned about determining college affordability? Subscribe to Edmit Plus and get a consultation with a college financing expert!
More Helpful Guides
Everything You Need to Know About Financial Aid
One of the best ways to pay for college is through Financial Aid! Download our worksheet to learn the ins and outs of Financial Aid and accumulate as much money as you can to avoid the stress of student loans.