College of Saint Mary
Founded in 1923, the College of Saint Mary (CSM) is a thriving Catholic institution located in the heart of Omaha, Nebraska. The College is committed to providing an accessible and affordable education to women while fostering potential and leadership through academic excellence, scholarship and lifelong learning. With an overall enrollment of over 1,100, CSM offers undergraduate and graduate degrees in many of today’s high-paying, in-demand fields, including physician assistant studies, occupational therapy, nursing, science, education, business, and legal studies.
Get to know College of Saint Mary
- Campus Ministries
- Choral groups
- Literary magazine
- Student government
- First-Year Seminars and Experiences
- Writing-Intensive Courses
- Collaborative Assignments and Projects
- Undergraduate Research
- Diversity/Global Learning
- Service-Learning, Community-Based Learning
- Capstone Courses and Projects/Senior Experience
- Career Services
- Writing Center
- Academic Advisors
- Library Services
- Faculty Mentors
- Disability Services
- Academic Tutors
- Financial Aid Advisors
- Student Success Initiative
- Peer Mentors
“I’ve been truly blessed to be surrounded by such intelligent, strong women here at CSM. As I continue to grow and venture onto the next journey life holds for me, I remember the laughter, knowledge, and relationships this place has brought me and just revel in thought at how quickly, but beautifully, time has passed by.” – Shabnam Waheed ‘18
College of Saint Mary knows that the world benefits from strong women leaders. The degree programs offered provide an engaging depth of knowledge coupled with opportunities to apply learning to the real world, so all graduates may walk tall toward the career of their dreams.
CSM graduates are welcomed into businesses, classrooms, clinics, hospitals, courtrooms, studios, and stages—locally and across the nation. In fact, 92 percent of graduates are employed or pursuing continuing education within six months of commencement.
College of Saint Mary understands how important it is to have practical experience before graduation. Most degree programs offer opportunities for hands-on learning in and out of the classroom. Notable examples include:
- Business: Students in the business major have the opportunity to utilize the skills they learn in the classroom while shadowing a business professional for a semester. They also complete two internships before graduation and write a comprehensive business plan as their capstone project.
- Biology: The biology major prepares students for different careers in the sciences, conducting undergraduate research and participating in internships in pursuit of lab- and field research-intensive professions.
- Chemistry: Chemistry students have access to interactive lab equipment and the latest instrumentation so they may excel in the ever-expanding realm of modern science.
- Kinesiology and Exercise Science: Students interested in pursuing a degree in kinesiology and exercise science are encouraged to engage with their classmates and professors as they study the body in exhaustive exercise research.
ENROLLMENT BY ETHNICITY
Nonresident aliens: 1%
Black or African American, non-Hispanic: 8%
White, non-Hispanic: 72%
American Indian or Alaska Native, non-Hispanic: 1%
Asian, non-Hispanic: 3%
Native Hawaiian or other Pacific Islander, non-Hispanic: 0%
Two or more races, non-Hispanic: 2%
Race and/or ethnicity unknown: 0%
College of Saint Mary is committed to providing its students with ample opportunity to combine their classroom knowledge with professional application. College of Saint Mary wants to provide their students with the knowledge and practical skills that will shape them into compassionate, empowered women leaders who thrive in their fields.
“I hold my educational experiences at College of Saint Mary very dear to me because they shaped me into what I have become professionally today. It’s a place where you find strong mentors, explore your own ideas, and really grow as a professional. It’s like I could feel my wealth of knowledge expanding, and that is something that is very precious to me.” – Olivia C. Cederberg, Software Developer, TD Ameritrade
There are many opportunities, both on and off campus, for students to learn while giving back. Students earning their degrees in Education, for example, take part in CSM’s partnerships with local Omaha organizations. In collaboration with Girls, Inc., the College of Saint Mary participates in such programs as Project S.M.A.R.T, which introduces young girls to the STEM fields, and Project L.I.F.E, which fosters literacy in under-resourced girls. Such projects reflect the College’s commitment to its community and the engaging ways in which it encourages students to pursue meaningful and inspiring work.
College of Saint Mary wants every student to graduate with the skills and experience needed to excel in the workforce. Below are just a few program highlights.
- Legal studies:
- College of Saint Mary has the region’s only four-year, ABA-approved paralegal program that is taught by actual attorneys. It boasts a historical 100% employment rate within 6 months of graduation.
- The teaching program places students in the classroom a full year before similar programs at other schools. Students are also encouraged to dive deeply into their specific interests through career-relevant teaching endorsements.
- The business programs at College of Saint Mary have been designed with informed input from regional business employers; those who study at CSM are ensured an up-to-date education that teaches them the skills essential to success in the boardroom.
- Flexible options for areas of emphasis (marketing, human resources, analytics, and more).
- Students may shadow a business professional for one semester as well as complete two single-semester internships before graduation.
- The business major culminates with the completion of a full business plan as senior capstone project.
SPECIAL STUDY OPTIONS
Programs available at this institution.
English as a Second Language (ESL)
Teacher certification program
“The faculty and administration live the values of the university and it is rather rare to find an institution where the mission is more than what you print on a plaque. Here, everyone lives every aspect of the mission. It’s hard not to be passionate about CSM.” – College of Saint Mary Board Chair Deb Macdonald, J.D.
The CSMAdvantage is a unique program offered to first-year students to ensure a seamless transition into life on campus while fostering ongoing future success. Students in the program meet with faculty and staff before the start of the semester to set goals, develop productive habits, and participate in team-building activities. All CSM women feel prepared and a part of their community before classes even start!
Community involvement is a pillar of the College of Saint Mary culture, which encourages all students to be an integral part of their campus collective. Engagement begins with Welcome Week, a weeklong event for students to explore all the kinds of activities available to them both on campus and in the surrounding community. Welcome Week is an amazing opportunity for new students to get to know their classmates as they are introduced to all the many organizations on campus. From theatre programs to campus ministry and everything in between, there are so many ways to get involved.
Located in the heart of Omaha, home of four Fortune 500 companies, CSM’s 40-acre campus is adjacent to Aksarben Village’s vibrant and bustling retail and entertainment space as well as Baxter Arena. CSM is minutes from such world-class attractions as the Henry Doorly Zoo and Aquarium, Joslyn Art Museum, Lauritzen Gardens, and CenturyLink Center Omaha.
CSM offers its student body an enriching collegiate experience that includes competitive athletics. A member of the Great Plains Athletic Conference (GPAC), CSM Flames student-athletes field teams in 10 competitive sports: basketball, soccer, softball, volleyball, bowling, competitive dance, golf, swimming, tennis, and cross country.
College of Saint Mary is focused on helping students achieve success in all areas of life. Students who attend College of Saint Mary enter the workforce with career and life skills that make them thoughtful, intelligent, successful leaders. They are strongly supported by various programs and resources designed to maximize their potential for success.
“College of Saint Mary helped me identify my leadership strengths, develop a sense of self and provided me with a high level of confidence to go out in the world and fulfill my career and life aspirations. They ALWAYS gave me the impression that they were there for ME TO SUCCEED. It was about me reaching my full potential as an individual and learning to go above and beyond expectations to prove what I could accomplish.” – E. Joanna Ayala, Human Resources Generalist, Faith Regional Health Services
The College of Saint Mary is committed to helping students find a career that fulfills them. Services such as résumé building and editing, mock interviews, help with job and internship searches, and more are available to all students.
Centrally located and open 24/7, the Achievement Center acts as a hub for students to maximize potential. Students have access to computers, printers, and other resources as well as the help of tutors for any subject.
Founded by the sisters of Mercy, the College of Saint Mary is devoted to the mission of service and community engagement. College of Saint Mary students are encouraged with the belief that service is a key component to living a fulfilled life, and so they are often tasked to combine what they learn in the classroom with opportunities to serve the community. In the last year, students and faculty of CSM have provided over 10,000 hours of community service, an indicator that makes it no surprise to see it named to the President’s Higher Education Community Service Honor Roll with Distinction by the Corporation for National and Community Service since 2010.
Tuition & Cost
Room & Board: $7,700
CSM is dedicated to providing a life-changing, affordable education to women who seek it. That is why tuition has been reduced by 33% since last year, and student fees have been eliminated! Further, the College of Saint Mary works hard to create and find ways to provide women more scholarships and financial aid.