2,040 undergraduate students (41% male; 59% female); 43 states and 39 countries; 19% minority, 3% international
116 full-time professors, 85% of whom hold the highest degree in their field. 13:1 student-faculty ratio. Average class size of 20.
Highly residential: 74% of students live on campus.
Lakeland, in Central Florida, is 30 minutes from Tampa and 45 minutes from Orlando and world-class beaches.
NCAA Division II; 27 National Championships; 493 All-Americans. 19 varsity sports (men’s: baseball, basketball, cross country, golf, lacrosse, soccer, swimming, tennis, track; women’s: basketball, cross country, golf, lacrosse, swimming, tennis, soccer, softball, track, volleyball).
Club sport: FSC has the nation’s oldest collegiate water-ski team, and it is always a national contender.
Intramural sports: basketball, tennis, flag football, soccer, softball, Ultimate Frisbee, volleyball, etc.
FSC offers 50 undergraduate programs of study, plus the self-designed major.
Most popular majors: Business; Nursing; Biological and Biomedical Sciences; Communication; Marketing; Music; Psychology; and Education.
Seven pre-professional degree programs: Pre-Medical; Pre-Dental; Pre-Engineering; Pre-Law; Pre-Theological; Pre-Veterinary; Pre-Physical Therapy; and Pre-Pharmacy.
Ranked # 2 in “Baccalaureate Colleges in the South” by U.S. News & World Report and No. 1 in Florida in its category.
Included in The Princeton Review’sprestigious college guide book, “The Best 376 Colleges.”
Ranked #1 “Most Beautiful Campus” by The Princeton Review.
Included in the best-selling Fiske Guide to Colleges 2011.
Recipient of the nationally prestigious William Burke Award for Experiential Learning.
All students are guaranteed an internship in their field of study.
All students are guaranteed a Junior Journey in their junior or senior year.
Noted for its beauty and its awesome campus designed by renowned American architect Frank Lloyd Wright.
- At Florida Southern, students put their education into action every day, and the College is recognized nationally for its commitment to engaged learning by the National Association of Experiential Education.
- Students conduct real-world research alongside their professors in all disciplines; take master classes and perform on stage with internationally recognized musicians; and showcase their artistic talents in our art galleries and throughout campus. Those seeking an added dimension to their studies enroll in the popular and prestigious Honors Program, which includes field studies in a variety of artistic, business, and scientific enterprises.
- Through an innovative Junior Journey program, all incoming first-year students are guaranteed an international travel experience in their junior or senior year, which is included in their tuition. Florida Southern students pursue their interests around the world in exciting locations such as Australia, China, Costa Rica, Ireland, Italy, New Zealand, Spain, and the United Kingdom.
- Every FSC student is guaranteed an internship, thanks to the College’s location in the heart of Central Florida’s high-tech corridor and to FSC’s established partnerships with nationally and internationally recognized corporations. AAA, Chevrolet, Coca-Cola, Disney, ESPN, Fox News, GEICO, Lakeland Regional Medical Center, Merrill Lynch, NASA, National Institutes of Health, Publix Super Markets, and SeaWorld rave about FSC students’ impressive educational preparation during their internships.
- FSC students have a passion for public service, building leadership skills while logging 30,000 hours annually in support of such organizations as Big Brothers/Big Sisters, Habitat for Humanity, and the Salvation Army, to name a few. FSC has been named to the President’s Community Service Honor Roll for the past five years.
- Florida Southern’s dynamic professors are not only noted experts in their fields, they are dedicated — first and foremost — to their students’ success.
- FSC’s student-faculty ratio is 13:1, and there are no teaching assistants. Students find the small classes enable them to get to know their professors well and allow time for personal attention. Professors are dynamic and creative, and they constantly introduce innovative concepts both in and out of the classroom. With fewer students in each class, it is that much easier to access the tools, technology, and resources that foster learning.
- All first-year students adjust quickly to academic life through a unique program pairing each student with a faculty advisor for regular meetings during the first semester. In addition, Florida Southern is one of the few colleges in the country with a dedicated Dean of Student Success who helps students make the most of the College’s many academic resources.
- FSC students can choose from 50 programs of study including business, nursing, communication, psychology, biology, art, education, environmental studies, music and theater performance. Pre-professional programs include pre-medicine, pre-pharmacy, pre-dentistry, pre-law, and pre-engineering. Students who elect to design their own major work independently with professors, who are eager to provide the direction they need to succeed in their chosen fields.
- FSC student life can be summed up in a word: Involved! With more than 80+ organizations to choose from, students enjoy great opportunities to discover new interests, make lifelong friends, and develop leadership skills. First-year students bond in their residence halls and enjoy intramural sports, movie nights, concerts, cookouts, trips to the beach, and service projects. One-third of students go Greek.
- With sunshine 330 days per year and beautiful Lake Hollingsworth just steps away, water sports are popular, and FSC students enjoy water skiing, kayaking, and sailing. The College also sponsors getaways to nearby beaches, canoe trips on local rivers, and hiking and horseback riding trips.
- Florida Southern makes it easy to live a healthy lifestyle. The Nina B. Hollis Wellness Center offers fitness classes from aerobics to yoga, and the 8-lane competition pool is great for laps, water polo, and parties. The food — served in three new or newly renovated dining venues — gets rave reviews, thanks to our awesome executive chef.
- Florida Southern competes in NCAA Division II athletics and offers 19 varsity programs. The Moccasins have won 27 national championship titles and are included in the nation’s top Division II programs. Intramural teams compete in basketball, tennis, flag football, soccer, softball, Ultimate Frisbee, and volleyball to name a few.
Because FSC students have leadership experience, complete meaningful internships, study abroad, and participate in real-world research and professional performances, they are ready to experience career success right away. In fact, most recent graduates report landing great jobs in their fields or enrolling in prestigious professional and graduate schools.
Guaranteed career-building internships enable our students to land great jobs upon graduation. American Express, Augusta National Golf Club, Bank of America, ESPN, Lockheed Martin, Merrill Lynch, Publix Super Markets, the State of Florida, and Walt Disney World are among the recruiters who pursue FSC graduates.
Nearly 26% of FSC students attend graduate school within one year of graduation, earning advanced degrees at major institutions such as Columbia University, Duke University, Eastman School of Music, Emory University, Princeton University, the University of Virginia, Vanderbilt University, Wake Forest University, and Yale University. Our medical school acceptance rate is 100%, and the University of South Florida School of Medicine offers priority admittance to select FSC science graduates.
Costs and Aid
2012-2013: $27,200 tuition; $36,300 tuition, fees, room and board. 97% of undergraduates receive financial aid.
Florida Southern College attracts students who demonstrate the academic ability and strong motivation to succeed in a challenging liberal arts discipline as well as pre-professional and professional programs. Admissions decisions are based on academic achievement, aptitude, personal character, and performance in general citizenship or leadership activities within school and the community.
The Office of Admissions looks for applicants who are bright, not afraid to ask questions, want to be engaged in the full college experience, and who are well informed. Incoming students are at the top of their classes, have a high level of character, and have a wide array of interests, including sports, the arts, community service, leadership, and study abroad. Florida Southern students are achievers but are also creative and believe in the value of community.
FSC is flexible in terms of particular course requirements for admission; however, applicants are expected to have earned credit in at least:
- 4 years of English
- 3 years of Math
- 3 years of History/3 Social Sciences
- 3 years of Natural Sciences (2 with labs)
- 2 years of Foreign Language (recommended)
Application process requirements:
- Completed application form and a nonrefundable $30 application fee
- An official high school transcript
- SAT or ACT test results
- Letter of recommendation from an academic professional
The admissions process at Florida Southern is selective.
For all of the details regarding the admissions process visit our website at: http://www.flsouthern.edu/admissions/admreq.htm
Important Admission Dates
Early Decision – Binding agreement for students who indicate Florida Southern is their top choice institution and commit to enroll if accepted. Application deadline for ED is December 1; students will receive notification of an admission decision by December 15 and admitted students are expected to submit an enrollment deposit by January 15. Click here to learn the details of FSC Early Decision.
Regular Decision – the application for admission due date is March 1.
Applications are generally accepted on a rolling basis.
Florida Southern provides more than $20 million annually in institutionally funded scholarships. Adding federal and state financial aid awards to the equation, FSC students receive more than $42 million in overall financial aid assistance. In fact, 97% of students receive scholarships and financial aid to attend Florida Southern. Learn more at: http://www.flsouthern.edu/finaid/
Florida Southern has a rich tradition of awarding scholarships to students of outstanding ability and talent. FSC offers more than $20 million annually in college aid on the basis of academic merit, talent in athletics or fine arts, leadership, community service, and student need. Merit-based scholarships based on academic merit are automatically determined by the Admissions Office upon application to FSC. Other scholarships may require an audition, tryout, interview, or portfolio submission.
For Florida Students
Florida students are very fortunate to have a wide array of state-funded assistance programs to attend college in Florida. Students may be eligible for funds from the following programs:
- Florida Bright Futures Scholarship Program
- Florida Resident Access Grant (FRAG)
- Florida Student Assistance Grant (FSAG)
Florida Southern participates in all of the major federal aid programs based upon financial need. Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) by April 1 to apply for:
- Federal Pell Grant
- Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG)
Florida Southern has been recognized as a “Best Buy” and “Best Value” among a number of prestigious college guidebooks. Admissions counselors and financial aid staff look forward to working with each student individually to design a financial aid package that will enable you to pursue a Florida Southern education.
For information on Admissions or financial aid, call 1-800-274-4131 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.