So you’ve searched online for the perfect packing list for your freshman orientation and still, you feel you’re forgetting something. Search no further, this is the ultimate checklist for orientation that includes more than just the essentials! We’re covering it all from what to wear to important questions to ask.
First-Year Student (Day Visit):
- Copy of Orientation Schedule
- List of Places you’d like to explore during your visit
- Identification Card/ Photo ID (Passport, License, or Permit)
- Login Information to access Student Account (NetID and Password)
- Copy of Transcript (Unofficial or Official)
- Spending Money
- Mobile Device and Charger
- Pencil, pen, and notebook to take notes
- Campus Map (Download app if possible)
- Bag or Backpack
What to wear:
Depending on the weather or climate your orientation is experiencing you’ll need to dress appropriately. Orientation involves a lot of walking so wear comfortable shoes. Dress comfortably and possibly in layers. Many buildings and halls that you will visit will be cold and you’ll want to have a jacket.
- Comfortable Shoes
- Light or Heavy Jacket (Depending on the Climate)
- Comfortable Shirt
First-Year Student (Overnight Visit):
- Twin Sheet Set
- Toothbrush, toothpaste, and floss
- Hair Styling Tools
- Bathing Products
- Personal Hygiene Items
- Shower Shoes (Slides, Flip Flops)
- Water and Snacks
- Change of Clothes for Day 2
Because freshman orientation is only a short visit try to take only what you need. The day you’ll want to pack up everything is for move-in day. (Free Move-In Packing List) So don’t worry about being under-packed. The part of orientation you should want to be overly prepared for are the sessions where you get to ask questions. The orientation leaders and advisors you’ll meet during your visit all have hands-on experience with your chosen college. Use this time to getting a better understanding of what resources and activities are available.
Questions You Should Ask Your Orientation Leader:
- How can I connect with my roommate before move-in day?
- Should I purchase textbooks before classes start or wait?
- How many student organizations are there, and how do I get involved?
- What recommendations do you have for choosing a dorm?
- What’s the best way to get around campus without a car?
- How does creating a class schedule work?
- Can I edit my class schedule after orientation?
- What are a few of the school traditions?
- What campus resources are available for tutoring or assistance in a class?
- What recreational activities are on campus?
- Where’s the best parking on campus?
- Is there a student health center?
- Are there any financial assistance opportunities available?
- Are there any professors you’d recommend us take?
- How much are parking decals, laundry services, and printing fees on campus?
- How assorted are the meals in the dining hall?
- Are there any resources available for getting around campus at night?
- Are there any opportunities to work on campus (work-study)?
- Are there any career services/ development resources for seniors?
- Where are the best places to study and do homework?
- How does the meal plan work?
- How secure is campus?
- Is there a resource for getting internships?
Have time? Check out our list of scholarships, you should be applying for during the summer!
Have more questions? Share them in the comments or tweet us @CoDSchoolSearch!