2018 Colleges of Distinction Engineering Programs
Obtaining a degree in engineering is no walk in the park. Endless nights of studying, taking classes in all areas of STEM (Sciences, Technology, Engineering, and Math) that the program has to offer, and focusing on expanding one’s horizons in the hopes of obtaining a well-rounded education. All of these criteria are important, but with so many schools and programs to choose from, how are students to know which program is truly right for them?
At Colleges of Distinction students are able to sift through programs to find exactly what they want in a school. With the easy to navigate website, students can sort through the schools considered distinguished by our standards, based on High-Impact Practices and the Four Distinctions.
Schools who have been awarded the Engineering Badge, like the New York Institute of Technology, are acclaimed to have extraordinary engineering programs and fulfill these 9 criteria:
- Stability- The engineering program is well established and is nationally accredited by ABET (Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology).
- Practical experience– Students are encouraged to participate in real-world experience in the engineering field.
- Multidisciplinarity– The engineering program offers many different disciplines such as: civil engineering, electrical engineering, industrial engineering, computer engineering, biomedical engineering, mechanical, etc.
- Collaborative work– Students are offered opportunities for team-based experiences such as hackathons to develop teamwork skills and broaden their horizons.
- Soft skills– The program focuses on not only teaching students engineering skills but also encourages skills such as communication and leadership.
- Facilities investment– The faculty are skilled and proficient in the subjects they teach.
- Dedicated advising and counseling– There is an advising and/or counseling center dedicated specifically to engineering students.
- High-Impact Practices– The High-Impact Practices outlined by Colleges of Distinction are also apparent within the engineering program at these institutions.
- Industry connections– The program strives to immerse students into their field through things such as internships, job opportunities, etc.
Institutions awarded the Engineering Badge have outstanding programs which focus on the needs and success of the students so that students can gain a well-rounded education and graduate knowing everything they need to know about not only engineering but being a leader in society.
2018-2019 Engineering Colleges of Distinction
California Polytechnic State University
Loyola Marymount University
Santa Clara University
University of California, Santa Barbara
University of California, Santa Cruz
University of San Diego
University of the Pacific
University of Louisville
University of Maine
University of St. Thomas
University of New Hampshire
Western Carolina University
University of Vermont