Let’s start off by saying that this list could go on and on. There are so many scholarship opportunities out there that it would be unwise to enter college without applying for some kind of financial aid.
Spending the time to apply for a large number of scholarships is hard, but that doesn’t mean it’s not worth doing. Plus, the more scholarships you apply to, the faster you’ll get and the more tricks you’ll learn, such as repurposing essay answers from application to another.
To add a little bit of fun to the process of looking for scholarships, we went out and found some of the wackiest ones available. Keep reading to get an idea of how vast the range of opportunities to fund your education can be.
Check out this crazy grouping, and know that this is only a taste of a very large list of scholarship opportunities.
As you start searching for the right college and applying to different schools, always keep your eyes peeled and your ears open for scholarship opportunities. Don’t forget, it’s not only big companies that offer scholarships; the more you search in your niche or in your local community, the more you’ll find.
9 Wacky Scholarship Opportunities
- Vegetarian Resource Group Scholarship. If you’re a vegetarian who isn’t afraid to speak up about your beliefs and promote vegetarianism in your school or community, this scholarship is for you. You could win a $5,000 or $10,000 scholarship. This scholarship is available to high school seniors. Deadline: February 20.
- Create a Greeting Card Scholarship. Calling all artists! You could win $10,000 for submitting the winning design for a new greeting card. On top of that awesome prize, your school will also receive $1,000. Double bonus! Deadline: March 2.
- UBC Family Epilepsy Scholarship Program. This scholarship is wonderful, it not only is awarded to prospective students with epilepsy but can also be awarded to caregivers and family members of people with epilepsy. UBC offers 30 scholarships worth $5,000 and two worth up to $10,000. Deadline: March 10.
- American Association of Candy Technologists John Kitt Memorial Scholarship. Niche interests are always a great way to find scholarships, and this one sounds like too much fun. If you have demonstrated an interest in confectionary technology through projects, work experience, or formal study and are majoring in food science, chemical science, or biological science, you can receive a $5,000 scholarship. Deadline: April 4.
- Ayn Rand Institute Essay Contest. The Ayn Rand Institute offers multiple scholarships for different contests that reward up to $90,000 to students for their thoughts on Ayn Rand’s books. Why not apply? You get to read and discuss literature—and you just might win a scholarship. Deadline: March or April.
- Asparagus Club Scholarship. Don’t worry, for this one you don’t have to eat asparagus. This scholarship is awarded by the National Grocers Association to students who are interested in pursuing a degree in business, food management, or another degree that will lead to the grocery industry. The scholarship totals $2,000 per semester for a maximum of four semesters. Deadline: April 30.
- Stuck at Prom by Duck Brand Duct Tape. This scholarship is lots of fun to participate in, even if you don’t win. The first prize place is awarded a $10,000 scholarship and second place is awarded a $5,000 scholarship. You can enter as a single or a couple. Deadline: May 31.
- Kerope Zildjian Concert Percussion Scholarship. This scholarship rewards a great, undergraduate percussionist enrolled in a music program a $5,000 scholarship. Deadline: June 10.
- Wells Fargo College Sweepstakes. This scholarship might just be the easiest one on the list to apply for, as it is what is known as a lottery scholarship. Sign-up to receive college planning and money management tips from Wells Fargo and you’re automatically entered to win a $5,000 scholarship. It’s almost too easy to be true! Deadline: June 30.
If none of these fit your interests—don’t fret! As we’ve illustrated, there are many, many scholarships out there. Keep looking and find the one that is right for you!
With so many great scholarships available, there’s no reason that you shouldn’t start college with some money to help you along. What scholarship will you be applying for? Let us know in the comments!